What better way to celebrate Fall than by cooking a warm, comforting soup? Soup is one of my all time favorite things to cook and one of the top reasons I look forward to the season of Fall. It fills your home with such a welcoming, home made smell. Every time I dive into my homemade soup I couldn’t be more satisfied. This soup is spicy and broth-y and filling and healthy. Make it in a crock pot or on the stove!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
1.5 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 jalepeno pepper, minced
1 poblano pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
3 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized cubes and cooked in 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper
1 can black beans
1.5 cups frozen, fresh corn
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon oregano
Splash of hot sauce
5 cups reduced fat chicken broth
Handful of cilantro, chopped
Toppings of choice, I used: Avocado, reduced fat cheddar, low fat sour cream, multi-grain tortilla chips
- Your first step is to chop all your veggies and heat up your big soup pot with the 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Saute your onions until translucent then add in the garlic until fragrant.
- Next, add your jalapeno, poblano, red bell pepper and can of diced tomatoes and saute for 2-4 minutes.
- Add your cooked chicken breast, beans and corn. Saute for 3 minutes on medium then add your lime, spices and hot sauce. Mix until well combined.
- Your last step is to add your broth and cilantro and simmer on medium low for 30-45 minutes, stirring every so often
- Don’t forget to set up your toppings! Light sour cream goes really well with these Mexican flavors and avocado adds a nice, creamy freshness to the dish. And of course some crushed tortilla chips; it is tortilla soup after all! Keep it healthy by using multi-grain or whole wheat tortilla chips.
- Your final, final step before assembling is to taste your soup before you serve and add any needed salt and pepper
- Pour your soup and assemble your toppings and ENJOY this flavorful fall dish!